Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How my work is done

I get a lot of questions about chiropractic and how I go about adjusting the horse's back. The regular comment(from people who have never seen the chiro done) is: ''So what do you do, get the horse to lay down and then crack its back?'' Actually no. There is no 'cracking' involved. Unlike human chiropractors, I use a small rubber mallet (shown on the side) along the back and move the misaligned vertebrae back into place. They can shift from side to side, and cause muscle groups around that area to become sore. For the rest of the adjustments, like the vertebrae in the neck, the pelvis, the femur and the shoulders I use my hands and body weight to shift it back into place.

Along with chiropractic I also do some massage. When your horse becomes misaligned, it causes the muscle groups to become tense, tight and often sore. I use accupressure and massage to the main stress point areas helping with the oxygen flow and loosening the muscles.

Another question I get is: ''Does it work?'' This is quite a broad question, but yes, it works. If I didn't believe it did, I wouldn't be doing it. There are so many little things that can be going on with your horse - eg. bad behavior, won't pick up a right/left lead, won't bend their neck- that can so easily be solved with a bit of adjusting. Of course, in most cases, you need to see some of this to believe it. I've seen my fair share of big and small changes in a horse to fully believe this work is beneficial!

No comments:

Post a Comment